Volunteering for SDCA
- Mentor students
- Plan and run events – organising catering, accommodation, permission forms, scheduling and more
- Prepare competition materials – technical materials, certificates, information about the competition, forms
- Manage our social media accounts and our website
- Develop promotional materials
- Photography for our events
- Communicate with schools, teachers, parents and students about our competitions and events
- Give presentations to students
- Manage our finances, including creating invoices
- Lots more!
- Give back to your community
- Help us improve the competition for future students
- Meet new people
- Grow your professional network
- Gain experience working with others and doing a range of different tasks
- Great volunteer experience to list on your resume!
To volunteer with SDCA, you must:
- Have left school
- No longer be a participant in our competitions
- Have Professional or Academic experience relevant to the competition (e.g. studying or working in a STEM field, or past participant of the competition)
- Have an interest in educating students in STEM fields
- Be willing to comply with SDCA’s Code of Conduct and policies
- Not be a teacher/staff member currently in charge of your school’s ASDC/JSDC team(s)
A Working With Children Check which complies with the legislative requirements of an Australian State or Territory (such as Queensland Blue Card or New South Wales Working With Children check) will be requested and received prior to the Volunteer commencing their proposed role. The check must show that the individual is not precluded from working with children.
Most of our volunteers are alumni of the competition, however, we welcome all members of our community to apply to volunteer. We have volunteers from all over Australia. We hold our meetings virtually and volunteers are not necessarily required to attend events in person.
We are committed to creating a supportive and inclusive environment for all students and volunteers. We encourage people of all gender identities, sexual orientations, religions and backgrounds to join our group of volunteers.